Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mammillaria Bocasana


I don't intend this blog to turn into a blog about Cacti, but I am working on a new abstract project, so while I finish that, I'll post some of my cacti that have been blooming.


Years ago when I became interested in Cacti, we would go out hicking and come across some beautiful species. At that time we were surrounded by so many that it never occured to me that it was illegal to pick one out of the earth and bring it home. I thought it was like picking wild flowers. That was how this particular one became part of my collection. It has been cared for and with us, for many years and I have often thought that I might have saved it from being crushed by heavy machinery, while making way for a new highway or land being turned into agicultural soil.


These are not easy to identify because they are so similar sometimes to others in different regions. If I have done my research right, this is a Mammillaria BOCASANA poselg that grows in the state of San Luis Potosi. The stems are only about and inch high and they have very tiny yellowish tinted flowers. They bloom only once a year in March.

6 comments:

Billie Crain said...

These are so cool, Mary! They look like little bird's nests and the flowers look like baby birds with their beaks open waiting for food.

Poetic Artist said...

Those are so strange and it is great inspiration. Thank you for sharing.
Katelen

Shayla said...

They have such sweet, little flowers. Beautiful.

Anita said...

I always think cacti are vaguely alien - but fascinating. Looking forward to seeing your new abstract.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lunardancer said...

What a strangely beautiful plant cactus are! This is my first time to see this kind of cacti though. At first glance I thought it was a fuzzier kiwi fruit with peculiar, pretty blooms on top. I wouldn't have known this is cacti if you had not discussed it in your blogpost.